Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

All courses are available to graduate students (incl. MS/PhD/veterinary students & professionals) and do not have specific prerequisites beyond having a Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent.

Most courses have sections for undergraduate students as well.  Check the syllabus or registration section of the course you’re interested in to confirm that it has an undergraduate section. Courses with undergraduate sections are 4000 level so students need to be considered upper level undergraduates (juniors or seniors) and should have already completed at least 2 courses in a science-related field beyond basic biology (in topics such as: physiology, anatomy, ecology, zoology) or instructor permission.


Are the classes completely online or is travel to Florida required at some point? Are the classes asynchronous or do you need to be logged in at a specific time/date?

All courses are taught completely online and do not require travel or have required synchronous components. However, some classes do have optional synchronous discussion times when you can speak to the professor during a live forum (online chat). These discussions are taped and can be accessed asynchronously for those unable to participate during the scheduled times.


I am not a University of Florida student, how do I get credit transferred to my home institution?

Each university has their own policies regarding credit transfer or dual enrollment. Therefore, it is your responsibility to check with your home institution to complete any paperwork that may be required to transfer the credits and ensure that they can be applied towards your degree. (Note: UF requires students to complete paperwork BEFORE they register at another university and this may be the same for your home institution.) The University of Florida is a public university in the state of Florida and credits should be accepted by other universities in the United States of America. The University of Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award bachelor, master, specialist, engineer, doctoral and professional degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Florida. If you need a letter, signature, or form completed please contact the course coordinator.

You will need to register as a non-degree student at the University of Florida (regardless of your status at your home institution) to get the course recorded on an official transcript for transfer to your home institution. After successful completion of the course, you can have an official transcript with your grade sent to your home institution. Official, sealed transcripts can be ordered and mailed to you or your home institution for a small fee (approximately $6.00) using the ISIS system. Non-official transcripts can be printed through ISIS for free.


I have already completed my Bachelor’s degree, should I register as an undergraduate or graduate student?

Post-baccalaureate students not planning to pursue graduate school follow the Continuing Education registration process. It is the simplest registration process and, after successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion.

Post-baccalaureate students likely to go to graduate or professional school (ie: College of Veterinary Medicine) should follow the non-degree registration process and register in the graduate student section. The graduate section will best transfer credit to your home institution towards your future degree (see above on how to transfer credit).

You can review the difference in the projects/papers required for the undergraduate versus graduate sections and the minimum requirements for CE students by reading the course syllabus.


What are the steps of registering before I can access the course materials? How do I access the course lectures?

Each course has a registration section that outlines the different types of registration (ex: UF student, Non-UF student, Continuing Education) and has links to the appropriate registration forms. After you have completed registration, you will have a Gatorlink username to log into the e-Learning website and access course content. The start date for each course is listed in the Registration Deadlines section.


What are the registration and fee deadlines?

The registration and fee deadlines for online courses are the same as the dates on the academic calendar for traditional courses at the University of Florida. These can be found on the Registration page for each course or at

The University of Florida has a three semester system: Fall (August – December), Spring (January – May), Summer C (May – August).

Note: The Registration section for each course is updated annually with dates from the academic calendar, the registration deadline, and a suggested deadline for students registering as Non-degree students. Registration is open to Non-degree students through the end of  the”Drop/Add” period each semester without a late registration fee. Tuition and Fees must be paid by 3:30pm EST on the first Friday after Drop/Add or a $100 late fee will be incurred.


What if I need to drop or withdraw from the class?

  • Courses can be dropped or added during drop/add without penalty. Classes that meet for the first time after drop/add closes can be dropped without penalty or fee liability if the request is submitted by the end of the next business day after the first class meeting. You first must drop the course with our office, please contact Jeff Hendel ( and Dr. Iske Larkin ( Then submit a written explanation to the Office of the University Registrar.
  • After drop/add, you can drop a course by college petition up to the deadline listed in the academic calendar. A grade of W will appear on the transcript, and you are liable for course fees.
  • After the deadline, you may petition to drop provided you can document sufficient reason, usually hardship or medical condition occurring after the deadline.
  • Failure to attend a class does not constitute a drop.
  • A withdrawal formally drops all courses in a term.
  • Please read the withdrawal instructions carefully before submitting your withdrawal online.
  • Students who withdraw after drop/add and before the deadline for withdrawal will receive a grade of W for all courses.
  • Any student who withdraws after the deadline may receive WF grades in all courses and will be subject to dismissal.
  • Students who leave UF without withdrawing formally receive failing grades.
  • After you withdraw, please contact the Dean of Students Office for additional information if you are withdrawing for medical reasons or for a retroactive medical withdrawal.


Can I use a fee waiver/military exemption/Florida state employee exemption to pay tuition and fees?

Tuition and fees for online courses at the University of Florida must be paid with a credit card (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, or Discover) or check (EFT/ACH, US banks only). There is a 2.6% non-refundable service charge when using a credit card as the method of payment. Unfortunately, most fee waivers are not accepted for Distance Education courses. To see if a military waiver can be used for a particular course, please contact the Veteran’s Affairs department in the Registrar’s office at 352-294-2948 or State of Florida employee tuition waivers are accepted for some courses but not all. Courses accepting state employee waivers are noted in the Registration Cost section of the course web-page.


Do you offer scholarships for the online courses?

Unfortunately, we do not offer scholarships, however see Bright Futures question for more information. Additionally, tuition and fees for online courses at the University of Florida must be paid with a credit card or check. Therefore when considering financial aid sources, a student loan is the most advisable option. We recommend doing an internet search for “private educational loans” and checking that they will fund a “less than half-time student” if you are only taking one 3 credit course. You can contact Matt Stubbington (352-273-5999) in the University’s Student Financial Affairs office for more information.


Can I use my Bright Futures Scholarship toward these courses?

Students need to contact their own financial aid office and receive permission to be a “transient” student (*Note that this is different than using a Transient application). Be sure to include in the application that the course is unique (not offered at their home institution). Once they receive approval from their office to become a transient student, they will be reimbursed for the class at the following rates:

$77 per credit hour (medallion award)

$103 dollars per credit hour (academic award)

Scholarships can be combined (Florida Prepaid with Bright Futures). Students that take a class as a transient student should fairly quickly after the class is over have an official transcript sent to their home institution.


Can I audit the course instead of enrolling for a grade?

If you are not interested in receiving a grade/transcript for a course, you can register as a Continuing Education student. This option is also available for undergraduates with permission from the Course Coordinator (see the syllabus for contact information).


How are accommodations for students with disabilities handled?

The University of Florida strives to provide effective, reasonable accommodations to students with physical, learning, sensory, or psychological disabilities. Student classroom accommodation issues (including virtual classroom accommodations) can be addressed through the Disability Resource Center in the Dean of Students Office. Staff at the Disability Resource Center will assist any student who registers as having a disability and will serve as their advocates. Official documentation of a disability is required to determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations. Although not required, we suggest also contacting the course coordinator directly as soon as possible to notify them that you have or will be registering with the Disability Resource Center and will need to coordinate accommodations.

Any issues outside of classroom accommodations should be directed to the ADA Compliance Office.


Will I receive a transcript, diploma, or certificate after completing a course?

There are multiple registration options and the type chosen determines whether a transcript or Certificate of Completion is created. If registered as a Continuing Education student, a Certificate of Completion will be mailed to the address provided at the time of registration (assuming you pass the course, grade of C or better). For all other registrations (UF and non-UF students), a UF transcript, where your grade will be posted, will be generated at the conclusion of the course.

Official, sealed transcripts can be ordered and mailed to your home institution for a small fee (approximately $6.00 USD) using the ISIS system. Non-official transcripts can be printed through ISIS for free.


Do you offer an online MS or PhD program?

The Aquatic Animal Health program does not currently offer an online MS or PhD program. Our program does support traditional MS and PhD students through the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Florida. For more information please visit our website and/or contact our Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Roger Reep.

We also collaborate with another program which offers a non-thesis Master of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences through the UF School of Forest Resources and Conservation. This graduate degree should be available in an online format soon.


Once enrolled in a course, do I have access to the UF library services?

If you are registered as a Continuing Education student, you will not have access to student services such as the library. Non-degree students have full access to UF library services just like UF students. This includes the digital catalog of books and scientific journals and other library services designed specifically for distance learners. You can log-in to the Off-Campus Access portal (link on the left-side) with your Gatorlink username and password to access these materials.


Will these courses count towards the Aquatic Animal Medicine Certificate that the University of Florida offers to veterinary students?

The Aquatic Animal Health Certificate is currently only available to veterinary students at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. The certificate is 15 credits and gives formal recognition to the foundation of knowledge in aquatic animal health that a UF veterinary student has obtained through specialized training in, but not limited to, fish and marine mammal medicine. Our future goals include creating a certificate program for graduate students and expanding enrollment to students at other universities and to professionals looking for continuing education opportunities. More information on our current certificate program can be found here.


Who should I contact regarding technical assistance during a course?

Included in the tuition and fees is access to the UF Computing Help Desk. Once you have your Gatorlink account, you can contact them directly with technical problems that may occur.


Do you have any more distance education courses planned for the future?

Yes! We are constantly working on developing more courses and transitioning traditional classroom courses to a distance education platform. These courses include:

Introduction to Fish Health Management – (2 credits, TBD) will be offered at the graduate and professional level. Course coordinator: Dr. Ruth Francis-Floyd

Impact of Diseases on Wildlife Populations (3 credits, semester TBD) will be offered at the upper level undergraduate, graduate and professional level.  This course will emphasize important diseases of terrestrial and aquatic wildlife in North America, emerging infectious diseases, as well as diseases that pose threats to human and domestic animal health. Course coordinator: TBD


 How do I get Continuing Education credit for professional licensing renewal?

Veterinarians: If you enroll as a Continuing Education student, at the end of the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion (assuming you pass the course, grade of C or better) which will state your veterinarian license number (as provided by you during the registration process), the course name and the number of CE credits/ units earned. Most courses are 3 University credits (45 CE units) but the number of equivalent CE units can vary. Since our courses are offered by the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, a State of Florida Board of Professional Regulations accredited institution, it should be accepted by the Board of Professional Regulations in your state. However, each state has the right to refuse this type of CE. We cannot guarantee that successful completion of a course will ensure that CE credit is granted by your professional governing body. However, we have never received a complaint that CE units have been refused after a Certificate of Completion is provided.

If you are enrolled as a UF student or Non-degree student and would like a Certificate of Completion, please contact us.

Veterinary technicians: Our courses are accepted for the maximum of 7 hours annually (online course maximum) by the Florida Veterinary Medical Association (click the link to view FVMA information regarding CE). If you enroll as a Continuing Education student, at the end of the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion (assuming you pass the course, grade of C or better) with the course name and the number of CE credits/units earned. We are unfamiliar with the acceptance policies of other states however we are happy to work with you to provide any necessary documentation to the accrediting institution.

If you are enrolled as a UF student or Non-degree student and would like a Certificate of Completion, please contact us.

All other professions:  If you enroll as a Continuing Education student, at the end of the course you will receive a Certificate of Completion (assuming you pass the course, grade of C or better) with the course name and the number of CE credits/units earned. Please contact us to discuss your profession’s CE requirements and the translation rate from university credits to CE units. We cannot guarantee acceptance by the accrediting body but we are happy to work with you to provide any necessary documentation.



University of Florida


As part of both the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences and UF Health, Veterinary Medicine is dedicated to advancing animal, human and environmental health through teaching, research, extension and patient care.



Animal Hospitals

Need animal care? Visit the UF Small Animal and Large Animal Hospitals. From dogs, cats, birds and exotics to horses, cattle, llamas, pigs and many other large farm or food animals, our experienced veterinarian staff is ready to assist.

Animal Airwaves

Syndicated Podcast

Animal Airwaves

Animal Airwaves is a daily radio series that features one-minute segments relating to animal health, ranging from insights into animal behavior to veterinary patient care breakthroughs and trends.

Animal Airwaves