The University of Florida Marine Mammal Program is a joint endeavor of the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Florida Marine Research Institute of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. This program was developed to promote the health and understanding of marine mammals in Florida.
In support of its mission, the Marine Mammal Program commits:
- To educate veterinarians, veterinary medical students, and related professionals in the care of marine mammals.
- To train graduate and post-doctoral students in research that addresses issues related to marine mammals.
- To transfer information to personnel involved in the management and protection of marine mammals and provide a sound scientific basis for management decisions.
- To provide outreach to the general public on topics of health and well-being of marine mammals and related environmental issues.
- To promote research in the biology of marine mammals and to develop new technology and methods of understanding marine mammal health and well-being.
- To provide a sound scientific basis for management decisions relating to marine mammals